We are very happy to welcome school groups at Tynemouth Aquarium
• See our schools risk assessment here: Tynemouth Aquarium Risk Assessment 2021
Please be aware the risk assessment must be signed and returned to us at least 7days ahead of your visit. Please send it to: [email protected]
At Tynemouth Aquarium, we’re keen to help the young people of the North East learn more about marine life and the ocean. We offer a host of educational opportunities for students of all ages, from nursery and primary to secondary and higher education.
Our school trips are both educational and exciting, helping children to learn about important topics in an inspiring environment.
Find out more about our different school trip packages below. Once you’re ready to organise and book your trip, give our team a call on 0191 258 1031.
|Age Group||Free Adults|
|Nursery||1 adult free for every 4 children|
|Primary||1 adult free for every 6 children|
|Secondary||1 adult free for every 10 children|
Additional adults charged at £13.18 per person
Our workshops provide a unique and interactive learning experience for your group. We Provide all worksheets tailored to the workshop chosen.
All workshops are designed to cover specific curriculum topics, encouraging learning in a fun environment.
Workshops last for approximately 30 minutes per group (of 30 children). Each visit includes one educational workshop per group. Choose from our selection of exciting topics:
Eco Workshop (Can be tailored to any Key Stage)
From plastics, to climate change this is an important issue effecting our environment and the animals who live in our seas.
Our new workshop focuses on these issues and what can be done to combat them. We also look at the work done in our on-site Seal Hospital.
Rockpool Encounter (Can be tailored to any Key Stage)
Meet our real-life rockpool creatures in an interactive, hands-on encounter. This workshop will teach children all about the fascinating creatures in rockpools, and will highlight how they have adapted to survive in one of the toughest habitats on Earth.
Who Lives Where? Learning About Habitats (Key Stage 1)
Investigate the different habitats at our aquarium – from colourful coral reefs to cold, sandy seabeds. Children will learn how animals adapt to their habitats to survive, asking questions such as “How do harbour seals keep warm in icy water?” and “How do animals avoid their predators using camouflage?”.
Sharks! (Key Stage 2)
This workshop dives into the world of sharks, discussing the anatomy and physiology of these ocean giants, focusing on the differences between shark skeletons and those of other vertebrates. Children will also get a close look at a shark’s dentition, including the different types of teeth and their primary uses. There is also a hands-on, close-up look at shark jaws, teeth, skin, and egg cases.
Terms & Conditions
• All bookings must be made over the phone and in advance. Bookings are for 20 or more children, with no upper limit.
• All schools must pay the full balance of the visit on arrival at Tynemouth Aquarium. School cheques, cash, and debit/credit cards are accepted (with the exception of American Express). A receipt will be provided on the day. We cannot accept payment via BACS.
• Bookings are taken on a first come, first served basis, and we strongly advise you to book early for peak periods (during May, June, and July).
• Tynemouth Aquarium is not responsible for personal items damaged or lost within the attraction or surrounding ground and car park, other than in circumstances covered by our Public Liability Insurance. All groups are advised to take out their own personal insurance for out-of-school visits and activities.
• Tynemouth Aquarium would like to remind all visitors that for operational or other circumstances, certain exhibits, attractions, or facilities may be unavailable at any time.
• Tynemouth Aquarium reserves the right to ask any individual or party to leave the premises if they are causing disruption or acting in a way that offends or disturbs other visitors. No monies will be refundable in this event.
You can easily organise your school trip. Simply give a member of our team a call on 0191 258 1031. We can talk through any of your queries and ensure that your day with us is specifically tailored to your needs.